Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Movie Review: 500 Days of Summer


I don't know how to describe this movie to be honest. It is part romantic comedy, dark comedy, and drama. I'll say is a romantic dramedy, if that makes sense. It stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt(3rd Rock From the Sun, Brick, The Lookout) and Zooey Deschanel(Yes Man, The Happening, Elf) as two people who meet at work and start a "relationship" (when you see the movie you'll understand why that is in quotes). Levitt plays Tom Hansen, a believer in "the one" or soul mate, while Deschanel plays Summer, a complete cynic when it comes to love and relationships. We all know that opposites attract and that is exactly what happens here. The movie is all about the ups and downs of their relationship, it jumps back and forth through time (through the 500 days of Summer) so it may be a little hard for some people to follow. This movie will truly connect with anyone who has ever gone through a "what the fuck" break-up (if you don't know what a "what the fuck" break-up is you probably haven't gone through one). Anyway, I liked the movie, I would definitely suggest watching it. Its not very often that I connect with a movie and with this one I did. I felt for the protagonist and could put myself in his shoes. I love how this film ends (I'm not going to tell you how it ends so just watch it if you want to know). All in all, it was well done, so go watch it.


Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment