Sunday, May 16, 2010

Season Review: Spartacus: Blood and Sand


If you never turned on the Starz original series, you are missing out. I will admit that when I did a review on the first episode I was less than excited. I thought it was an "okay" show, but nothing spectacular. Oh man did it get better! More sex and violence than any other show I've ever seen and that includes True Blood, The Tudors, Rome, The Sopranos, or any other show that has been on TV and known for its "mature" thematic elements. Every episode drew you more and more into the story. Leaving you rooting for the "Champion of Capua" and wishing for the downfall of Batiatus(John Hannah). Now I was hooked on the show probably by the 2nd or 3rd episode, but WOW! The season finale made that hook permanent. It is possibly the greatest episode of a TV show I have ever seen, absolutely amazing, and more blood and guts than you can possibly imagine. Now I don't recommend you watch the season finale without seeing the rest of the season first, but, if you refuse to watch it all, just watch the finale, you will not be disappointed.

UPDATE: due to the series star Andy Whitfield being treated for lymphoma, Starz has decided to do a 6 part prequel that will highlight the rise of the house of Batiatus, leading up to the days when Spartacus makes his first appearance at the gladiator school.


Rating: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment